Music is a language, and music theory is its vocabulary and its grammar. Whether your goal is to compose new music, to transcribe or arrange music by others, to prepare for music school, to become a better reader or improvisor, or just to work on your overall musicianship skills, learning the language of music is the key.
This course covers the fundamentals of music literacy - pitch, meter, rhythm, scales, intervals, chords, etc. These are the core concepts that provide the foundation for any deeper understanding of music. Completion of this course will prepare you for more advanced courses and give you the knowledge and confidence you need for further musical growth.
While there are many resources for learning music theory, this online course is unique in a few significant ways:
- Concepts are presented in historical context, with reference to Renaissance, classical, jazz, and rock traditions
- Coverage of the material is deep, providing valuable insight even in seemingly simple topics
- Video lectures are designed for online delivery and are thorough and yet focused, direct, and clear
- Each lecture is accompanied by an interactive handout that can be read and played back online or within MuseScore, or printed for reference
- Lessons are also accompanied by worksheets in the same interactive format, with answers provided as well
- Discussion areas for collaborative learning are provided for each lesson
- Graded online quizzes are provided for each section
- All materials (site, videos, handouts, worksheets, quizzes) are designed to be as accessible as possible for blind and visually impaired musicians
With this course, you are getting over ten hours of video instruction, plus an interactive textbook and workbook (with answers), and the equivalent of a CD containing the musical examples, all integrated together and offered to you for one incredibly low price!
With more and more musicians and schools turning to online learning, courses like this are the key to music education. Your instructor Marc Sabatella has been at the forefront of this field since the early days of the World Wide Web, and in his current role with MuseScore, he is one of the most recognized and respected music educators in the world.
Read what others have been saying about Marc's online resources:
- "YAY; Ivy League Professorial Perfection. What an enjoyment and relief. I've digested enough manuals for several lifetimes... What great stuff, Marc. I feel like Alice in Wonderland" - Ken M.
- "It's so great to have this course - it is so logically laid out, that when I have a question, I can find that particular lesson quickly and get my answer!" - Sheridan G.
- "I just finished the course today. It was really good, well structured, very clear, step by step, very understandable. Great, now the next steps are just practising... and enjoy" - Ramon P.
- "Very clear explanations and the pacing of the course is just right. Really enjoying it!" - Graham W.
- "Finding your online book 12 years ago gave me the resources i needed to get started making for myself the music that i had been wanting to hear. it is no exaggeration to say that my entire compositional and improvisational language owes a huge debt to you." - Joel A.
- "Perhaps you can identify with a particular book coming at a particular stage of one's musical development hitting the sweet spot where it is neither boring nor too advanced. Yours hit the sweet spot." - Nigel D.
My name is Marc Sabatella, and I am the Director of Education for MuseScore, the free and open source notation software that I also help develop. I have been one of the leading pioneers of online music education since the dawn of the World Wide Web, and I have been teaching in person for even longer. From the publication of my groundbreaking "Jazz Improvisation Primer" back in the 1990’s, to my years on the faculty at major music schools, and culminating in this Mastering MuseScore School, I have dedicated most of my life to helping as many musicians as I can.
With many people struggling right now, and many colleges opting to move classes online, I want to make this course available to as many people as I can. So for the time being, I am offering a special "free / pay what you want" option below - enroll for free now, pay what you want afterward. I am also offering a traditional purchase option. Simply select the desired option before pressing the "Enroll in course" button.
School faculty and administrators, please contact me if you are interested in using this online course as part of your own offerings on an ongoing basis. I am committed to helping everyone succeed!