- if we consider enharmonic pitches like C# and Db to be as one, there are 12 pitches in each octave.
- other systems of tuning exist that treat these separately and result in more than 12 pitches.
- most Western music is based on twelve pitches in each octave.
- understanding relationships between pitches is important.
- interval naming and identification is a stumbling block for many.
- don't get too hung up on this!
- the real value is in learning how to use all of this to your advantage in creating a pleasing sense of tension and release in your music.