- we need to understand basics of pitch in order to read music notation.
- if you don't already read music well, you will want to supplement this with practice reading on your instrument.
- even if you already read music well, you might find some interesting information here.
- concepts of pitch in Western music dates back to ancient Greece.
- evolution from seven pitches per octave to twelve took place gradually.
- modern system of tuning twelve pitches became established in Europe towards end of Renaissance.
- music uses the twelve tones of the chromatic scales in a wide variety of ways.